I can add that in my limited experience the CD (apparent) Tm wasnt too
far from that from Thermofluor, but then again they could be... (would
be interesting to know if someone has done a more extensive study on
the matter), but indeed why not do this (Tms) by CD or Tpr
fluorescence or DSC, which would be the more standard mehtods for
estimating thermodynamics of unfolding (or thermostabilty)?? That is
if you want to know somehting about the protein stability overall and
not just screen for conditions that are relavitely most stabilizing.

Tommi

On Sep 23, 2010, at 10:32 PM, Thomas J Magliery PhD wrote:

> I agree that you can't take two unrelated proteins and expect their
> Thermofluor Tms will be correlated with CD/DSC values.  We've done
> quite a bit with point mutants, and it works well for that (see an
> example in our paper below).  Also note that the dye is a perturbant
> the reduces the apparent Tm at higher concentrations, and of course
> that the whole point of using Thermofluor to help find Xtal
> conditions is that the apparent Tm is sensitive to buffer, ligands,
> etc.
>
> Tom
>
> http://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/~magliery/pdfs/LavinderMagliery2009JACS.pdf
>

> On 9/23/2010 1:03 PM, Anastassis Perrakis wrote:
>> Hello -
>>
>> The excellent paper of McCrary, uses differential scanning
>> calorimetry, which will give an absolute measure of thermostability.
>>
>> Using Thermofluor I would be afraid you can only assess the
>> relative thermostability of one protein in different conditions.
>> As your fluorescence reporter would interact differently with
>> exposed hydro[hobic patches in different proteins, I would be a bit
>> more careful
>> in comparing the Thermofluor results between different proteins ...
>> I am not aware of anyone correlating differential scanning
>> calorimetrywith
>> Thermofluor data, but I must admit I have not looked up that
>> literature recently.
>>
>> A.
>
> --
> Thomas J. Magliery, Ph.D.