   The main advantage of contouring in absolute units is consistency.
The density for a water molecule with a B factor of 20 A^2 will look
about the same even if the "noise" level of one map is higher than
another.  (Within limits, of course)  This means that the actual value
you contour at isn't as important as the choice of the same value all
the time.  You want to train your eye for what "good" density looks
like at the level you use.

   I've picked 0.36 e/A^3 (don't get me started on units!) for density
maps and 0.18 e/A^3 for difference maps as my personal values.  The
former is usually about 1 sigma and the latter about 3 sigma but
of course the sigmas float based on other factors.  I will look at
the map contoured at lower levels when looking for atoms at lower
than full occupancy, but I always start at the same place.

   When first learning model building it is useful to leave out a
water molecule.  That way you can see what a good water molecule
looks like in your current difference map and can compare other
potential water molecules to it.

Dale Tronrud