Mark,

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 13:34 -0400, Dr. Mark Mayer wrote:
> Where does the crystallographic community stand
> on deposition of coordinates with riding
> hydrogens?

Surely community is divided on this.  There could be arguments made both
ways.  Personally, I think that riding hydrogens can be calculated if
necessary using the same algorithms/parameters employed upon refinement.
It is true that different programs may use different parameter sets and
reproducing exactly the same set of riding hydrogens may be difficult
without exact knowledge of which version was used and ability to unearth
that old version of the software.  This may preclude one from getting
exactly the same riding hydrogen positions (how large that difference
would be I honestly don't know).  But really, who cares?  What is the
benefit of knowing exactly where this or that riding hydrogen was?
Maybe there is some benefit of such comparison in method development,
but I would think its rather limited.

I wholeheartedly agree with Ethan (even though that is not strictly what
he said :) that some minor benefit here is completely negated by the
danger of perception that somehow models tell us where hydrogens are.
It is bad enough that, in my estimate, roughly 10% of atomic coordinates
in the PDB are unwarranted as they come from disordered residues with
exact spatial positions unsupported by electron density.  Let's not add
more things that PDB users may over-interpret.

Cheers,

Ed.