Dear all,

Giuseppe Zaccai showed me an interesting article about science funding
(from F.T.). I thought it could be of interest to all of us since we
have to apply for funding, and succeeding in securing funds is getting
more difficult all the time.

The scan of the article can be found on:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1140070&l=ded4b09caf&id=1612253929

This paper deals with the shift of funding away from "fundamental",
"basic" research to "applied" research that can guarantee a "return on
investments" in a very short time.

The article is concerned with science funding in Britain. However, I
know it applies equally well for science funding in France, in Europe
and I fear the same trend might apply to the rest of the world as well.

I think the Financial Times cannot be considered as an "ultra-left wing
revolutionary journal", they are only concerned with the progression and
development of the economy (and analyses of the economies etc). Clearly,
in this article, the FT is saying "Careful - you're going down the wrong
road there".

Fred.