Oh Peter, you so frustrating. Honestly.... you don't like the word 'centre', who cares, I'll use whatever word you like. 'Financial' - yea, that has a bearing, it's part of it. So what?

And I never said NEGLECTED, I said 'ignored' by the mainstream. Sometimes I think you just want to disagree for the sake of it.

But you seem to be taking my little list a bit too close to heart - I didn't give it considered thought, but that's not the point, it was meant to initiate discussion.

Fisher (Roy that is), 'not neglected ON ANY TERMS'. Rubbish, if you don;t mind me saying.
'Six or so are appreciated in niches' - of course they're appreciated in 'niches' - that's the point, surely?

I would love to know who the 6 or so are who you think write badly - I've got a fair idea who a couple might be. I might agree with you about a couple. Ha!

You say: "There are four including me (Oliver, James, Chaloner) who were perhaps sidelined because we were "Cambridge" but didn't enroll ourselves wholly in the Prynne brigade and so fell between stools. I think I'm the least neglected of these. " Yes, I know, I agree, you have mentioned a reason. Other things have reasons too.

But from your additions to the list I would never include Halsey, Sutherland, Finlay (or his dad) Cheek, Raworth or Brady because on many levels the reasons why their work is beyond the mainstream are pretty obvious (perhaps you misunderstood the reason for my list). I did consider putting MacSweeney, Joyce, Clark and Denise Riley there. Yes, OK, put them there, though each is slightly more problematic.

Cheers - excuse the frustration

- Now I am off

Tim A.