OK Jeffrey, but I am still having trouble with this. I don't think all
mainstream poets see what they do as being merely acts of self
expression etc., though waffle about self expression plays a big part
in their literary propaganda - it is often patronising too, within the
workshop culture, treating self expression as something worthy enough
for the amateurs while the 'real' poets are those engaged with the
noble art of of continuing English literature. Sorry, but I can be
very cynical about this stuff.

But on the other side of things neither do I see the existence of
purely 'theory-led poets' - nobody I know is like that. Yes, as I said
in a post to Robert Hampson, I do think there are poets whose work
contains a more direct link between theory and practice, and I called
that 'too abrupt, too brittle', or something similar. But as Robert H.
pointed out, this is part of a dialectic between the two, and I have
to agree with him on this. My interest in all this is down to the fact
that, as you know, I have been critical of some of the directions
avant and innovative work has gone - but for me a supposed over
reliance on theory would only be part of the picture - what matters is
what attitude the poet has to theory, the context in which they find
out about it, the life circumstances in which they use it - as I said
before, whether they are energised by it or dulled by it, made to
question things by it or made to conform to things by it. My take on
this is that there has been an increasing tendency towards the
negative aspects of this, and the only reasons I can find are those
related to institutionalization within academia. But I am the first to
admit that this is relative.

Tim