Workshop on "Serial and Parallel Processing in Reading"

Saturday 9 October 2010

At the School of Psychology, University of Dundee

Sponsored by the Experimental Psychology Society
http://www.eps.ac.uk/

This is a workshop organized by Dundee's Centre for Oculomotor Research and designed to accomplish two aims:

(1)   To bring together a group of distinguished researchers working on eye movement control and push forward our understanding of one of the most controversial questions in current eye movement research.
(2)   To honour Professor Alan Kennedy and his seminal contributions to eye movement research.

The workshop will focus on the question of how we use our eyes to gather information from printed text. This has been at the heart of eye movement research since the first objective measurements of eye movements were made in the late 19th Century. In contemporary research, this issue continues to dominate the global eye movement research community.

This is an open event, with attendance open to all EPS members, postgraduate students and postdoctoral researchers (at their own expense). Attendance will be free to encourage young researchers to attend and have the opportunity to take part in discussions with the world's leading experts in this field.
We request that you email to Elizabeth Evans ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) at the School's office to signal your attendance. This will help us select the most appropriate room (which will be clearly sign-posted on the day) and plan for the catering.

Program (all speakers confirmed)

Time

Speaker

Preliminary Title

9.30-10.00

Welcome by the organizers

10.00-10.30

R. Shillcock and N. Dare (Edinburgh, UK)

Out of this word: the effect of parafoveal orthographic information on non-isolated word recognition

10.30-11.00

J. Hyönä (Turku, Finland)

We should ask when processing of adjacent words can be parallel, rather than continue arguing whether all word processing in reading is serial or parallel

11.00.11.30

M. Brysbaert (Ghent, Belgium)

Can we learn something from a comparison of gaze durations to lexical decision times? Evidence from megastudies

11.30-12.00

K. Rayner (San Diego, USA)

Eye movements and lexical processing in reading

12.00-14.00

Buffet Lunch

14.00-14.30

G. Underwood (Nottingham, UK)

Parafoveal-on-foveal effects in reading and in scene perception

14.30-15.00

S. Liversedge (Southampton, UK)

The influence of highlighting and word length on eye movements during reading

15.00-15.30

R. Kliegl (Potsdam, Germany)

Multivariate data analysis and computational modelling of eye movements during reading

15.30-16.30

Coffee Break

16.30-17.00

R. Radach (Tallahassee, USA)

On the nature of 'pre-attentive' parallel processing in the parafovea: effects of word shape and letter similarity

17.00-17.30

W. Murray (Dundee, UK)

As he read the professor believed the idea that it was just listening was wrong

17.30-18.00

A. Kennedy (Dundee, UK)

Serial and parallel processing in reading

The workshop will be followed by a Reception in the School of Psychology (18.00-19.30, toasts by Joel Pynte and Nick Wade).

We hope to see you at the Workshop.  The Organizing Committee:

Martin Fischer
Ben Tatler
Wayne Murray
Ken Scott-Brown

--
Kenneth Scott-Brown
Lecturer

The UK's first centre of excellence for computer games technology and computer arts learning.

The University of Abertay Dundee is a charity registered in Scotland, No: SC016040