Hello,

Though not particularly relevant to Neolithic Ireland, Jane Renfrew
found charred dried crabapples [called Pyrus malus in the article] on
a string in Queen Puabi's tomb at Ur (Mesopotamia), late 3rd
millennium BC:

Ellison, Rosemary, Jane Renfrew, Don Brothwell, and Nigel Seeley
1978 Some food offerings from Ur, excavated by sir leonard woolley,
and previously unpublished. Journal of Archaeological Science 5(2):
167-177.

Naomi

--
Naomi F. Miller, Ph.D.
Research Project Manager, Near East Section

tel: 215.898.4075
fax: 215.898.0657
url: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~nmiller0