Apologies as always for the necessity of cross-posting...

 Friends and colleagues: History and archaeology both yield essential
information for understanding the Medieval period of Europe.  This is
certainly the case in northern Italy, where standing structures (some in
ruins) and the historical narrative weave a compelling story in *Canossa and
the Lands of Matilda*, the latest video feature on our nonprofit
streaming-media Web site, *The Archaeology Channel* (
http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

 Matilda of Canossa, called the “Great Countess,” was a principal figure of
European medieval history, an exceptional case for that time: a woman of
international rank and culture.  The lands of Matilda are an area in
Italywith a strong identity distinguishing itself within the regional
panorama
for its environmental, landscape, and historical-cultural characteristics.
Layers of deep history are attested by many archaeological sites, the
standing remains of castles, and by numerous villas and rural dwellings.

 This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.
We urge you to support this public service by participating in our
Membership (http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting(
http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

 Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Meara Butler

Archaeological Legacy Institute List Serve Coordinator