STM APPOINTS RICHARD GEDYE DIRECTOR OF OUTREACH PROGRAMMES

Oxford, 1 September 2010

From 1 January 2011, STM is pleased to announce that Richard Gedye, currently Research Director at Oxford University Press, will assume responsibility for STM’s Outreach  Programmes upon his retirement from OUP. These programmes include Research4Life and patientINFORM access initiatives, the ARDI patent project and STM’s activities with library organisations.

For the last ten years Research4Life and its separate HINARI, AGORA, and OARE programmes, together with patientINFORM and ARDI have been expertly developed and run by Maurice Long, who will be retiring from STM at the end of 2010.

Richard Gedye has 19 years experience at OUP, where his successive roles as head of journals marketing and sales have brought him into extensive contact with all players in the international academic research distribution chain - authors, primary and secondary publishers, subscription agents, ILS vendors, libraries and readers. Richard also founded and chairs until the end of 2010 the usage statistics organisation COUNTER.

Michael Mabe, CEO of STM commented

“I am delighted to welcome Richard to STM to continue our historic support and coordination of these exceptional humanitarian programmes. Maurice Long has been a key figure in their success and will be much missed by all our partners and his colleagues at STM. I am confident Richard’s unique set of abilities and experiences make him the ideal person to build and develop further Maurice’s ground-breaking work.”

Speaking about his new appointment and role in the Research4Life Programme, Richard Gedye commented,

“The three just-published reviews of the [Research4Life] Project - User Experience, Infrastructure, and Literature – provide a fitting tribute to the contribution Research4Life has made, under Maurice Long’s skilful guidance, to the planned achievement of [the UN Development] goals by 2015. At the same time they provide me with a timely roadmap ... As someone who was involved almost from the start as a participant in the projects that make up this programme, I feel excited and privileged to be offered the opportunity to take on a deeper involvement.”

END

HINARi, AGORA and OARE, now known collectively as Research4Life, provide full text access to more than 7,000 journals mainly without charge to thousands of institutions in over one hundred of the world’s poorest countries.  Other partners in these programmes include WHO, FAO, UNEP, Cornell and Yale Universities and Microsoft Corporation. The Research4Life programmes are linked to the UN Millennium Development Goals.

patientINFORM, jointly supported by STM and PSP (the Professional and Scholarly Publishing Division of the American Association of Publishers) is a free online service that provides patients and their carers with access to some of the most up-to-date, reliable, and important research available about the diagnosis and treatment of specific diseases. In patientINFORM, consumers have the ability to not only read the latest research, but also to find help interpreting that information and accessing additional materials.

ARDI is a partnership with WIPO (UN World Intellectual Property Organization) to provide access to a range of core research technical journals and other serial publications to patent offices in more than 100 developing countries, including all the 50 Least Developed Countries.

STM is an international association of more than 100 scientific, technical, medical and scholarly publishers, collectively responsible for more than 60% of the global annual output of research articles, 55% of the active research journals and the publication of tens of thousands of print and electronic books, reference works and databases. We are the only international trade association equally representing all types of STM publishers - large and small companies, not for profit organizations, learned societies, traditional, primary, secondary publishers and new entrants to global publishing.

Contact:
For further information, contact Michael Mabe, STM, Prama House, 267 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 7HT, UK
tel: +44 1865 339324/fax: +44 1865 339325
e-mail mailto:[log in to unmask]