This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. ---------------

Dear Jane Dunn,

At Museums Sheffield we have prints in the Social History, World Cultures and Visual Arts due to the way they were collected over the years. Some were collected to form part of a bigger collection (specific collector) and some were collected in their own right as an object. A print of an oil painting could still be classed as art since artists often reproduced paintings through prints. It also depends on the quality of the print ie are they a photograph of a painting reproduced as a photolithography and in this case, they may be of low quality (cheap reproductions) so you may not want to keep them in the art collection (sorry I am not implying only good ones stay in Visual Arts!). It also depends if the content of the print has a place in social history. For examples, we have various etchings and lithographs of Sheffield local scenes, parks, views of the city from the 19th Century and famous local Sheffield people – they are kept in the Social History collection and not Visual Arts due to the information it holds and they compliment the Social History objects. However for duplicate prints, we have offered them to Sheffield Archives.

It is difficult to say without knowing your museum collections and without seeing quality of the print as well. As we know, prints don’t really all just fall into the art category. It very much depends on how it would fit in with each department’s acquisition policy and any specific collector. Perhaps you could transfer relevant ones into other departments? If it doesn’t fit into your museum’s acquisitions policies, perhaps you could transfer them to other museums where their collections could benefit from it. Whilst for duplicates, they could perhaps be put away as archive?

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Sheauran

Sheauran Tan
Curator of Social History

Museums Sheffield

Weston Park, Western Bank, Sheffield, S10 2TP
0114 278 2641
museums-sheffield.org.uk

Watercolour in Britain: Tradition & Beyond
Museums Sheffield: Millennium Gallery
Until 5 September

Company Registration No. 3527746 & Registered Charity No. 1068850 as Sheffield Galleries & Museums Trust. Registered Office: Riverside East, 2 Millsands, Sheffield, S3 8DT.
This is an email from Museums Sheffield. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient at the email address to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than this addressee, or may it be copied in any way. If received in error, please contact Museums Sheffield on +44-(0)114-278-2600 quoting the name of the sender and the addressee, then delete it from your system. Please note that neither Museums Sheffield nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Museums Sheffield is the trading name of Sheffield Galleries & Museums Trust and is the lead partner of the Yorkshire Museums Hub. It is an independent charity funded by Sheffield City Council, Museums Libraries and Archives Council and Arts Council England.