Dear zooarchers,

I'd like to call your attention to a call for papers for a session I am organizing for the 2011 meeting of the Society for American Archaeology. The meeting will be held in Sacramento, California, US from 30 March to 3 April 2011. The deadline for submission of abstracts is *9 September 2010*. If you wish to participate in the session below, please contact me as soon as possible.  Due to their online submission process, I must send you an invitation to submit for the session through their website.

Please feel free to pass this on, or email me with any questions!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

---

Seasonality in Prehistory: New approaches to an old question

Organizer: Suzanne Pilaar Birch, University of Cambridge

Session abstract:

Seasons determine the natural rhythm of life, and whether a human population takes the form of a highly mobile hunter-gatherer group or a semi-sedentary pastoralist band, the environment that surrounds them exerts an influence over every aspect of their lifeways.  However, human decisions regarding where to live, how long to stay there, and when to move are rarely preserved in the prehistoric archaeological record.  This session invites papers which take a fresh perspective on the problem of establishing season of site occupation, such as the combined use of techniques in zooarchaeology, stable isotope analysis, geoarchaeology, and other archaeological sciences.

--
Suzanne Pilaar Birch

PhD Candidate
Department of Archaeology