From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael T Rubens
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 3:15 PM
To: Gold, Brian T
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] effective smoothness

How did you calculate effective smoothness?

-Michael
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Brian Gold <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
Hello,

I am conducting a combined fMRI-VBM study. I want to compare the relative spatial extents of between-group differences in fMRI and VBM data sets. I thus want the effective smoothness of the functional and structural data sets to be as close as possible. I have computed the effective smoothness of my fMRI data to be 7.6 mm FWHM (averaged across x,y,z directions).

What would be the simplest way in SPM 5 that I can determine the size of the FWHM smoothing kernel that, when applied to my VBM data, will result in the same effective smoothness as my fMRI data?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

--
Research Associate