Dear SPM experts,

I have two questions regarding the weighting images within the
normalization of PET images in SPM5:

1) I have a PET scan which is somewhat hard to normalize accurately, ie.
the result is really distorted (I already tried to use coregistration
first or increase regularization, etc - without success). So I thought
to use a weighting image containing 1s within the brain and 0s outside
(similar to the "skull stripping" approach in MRI). Interestingly, this
weighting image doesn't really improve the normalization process.
However, it does work when I first multiply the weighting image with the
actual scan and then normalize the scan (which is then basically the
brain only). I thought the two approaches would be the same - could
someone explain the difference to me, please?

2) Is it possible/feasible to use a weighting image to focus on specific
parts of the brain, eg. brainstem? For instance, I have a problem with
(another) PET scan where the cortex is nicely registered to the template
but the brainstem is not. Radioligand uptake is high for both, but of
course brainstem is smaller than cortex, thus, I guess the cost function
will be mostly based on the cortex - so should a weighting image help or
is there a better approach?

Thank you for your help in advance,
Andreas.

--
Andreas Hahn, MSc.
Functional Neuroimaging Group - PET & fMRI