The Royal College of Surgeons of England

Museums and Archives

With a worldwide reputation for education excellence and state-of-the-art teaching, The Royal College of Surgeons of England exists to promote the highest standards of surgical care. Our archives team manages the College’s fascinating institutional and deposited archive collections relating to the history of surgery, and the surgical profession. To enable us to achieve our five year plan to further develop the archive and records services to provide modern and accessible facilities, improved finding aids, and inspiring exhibitions and events, we are currently advertising the following positions:

Project Archivist (College Archives)

£25,000 – 5 year contract - London

You will be responsible for sorting, arranging and cataloguing the institutional archives of the College. This will involve listing, appraising, repackaging the collections, followed by composing detailed catalogue descriptions on our archive database. You will also work on promotional activities. You will have a postgraduate qualification in archives management and a good working knowledge of current archive description standards. A good knowledge of archive principles and practice and experience of delivering outreach activities is also essential.  Ref 42/10

Archives/Records Assistant

£18,000 - London

You will provide valuable support for the records and archives services at the College. This will involve dealing with enquiries, supervising researchers, listing and repackaging collections, providing information to staff on procedures and assisting with the management of record stores. You will be educated to at least ‘A’ level standard and either have some experience of archives or records management work, or have an interest in pursuing a career in archives or records management. Excellent communication skills, a customer focussed attitude and the ability to work accurately will be important for this role. This post would be suitable for someone looking for experience before starting an archives/records management qualification.  Ref 43/10

Benefits include: 25 days holiday, flexitime, contributory final salary pension scheme, in-house gym, subsidised restaurant, squash court.

For further information on these roles and to apply please visit www.rcseng.ac.uk/about/working. CVs will not be accepted.

Closing date for both positions is 1st September 2010. Interviews to be held in mid-late September.

We are an employer fully committed to our equality and diversity policies. We will judge you on your abilities and nothing else.

Beth Astridge| Head of Records and Archives

The Royal College of Surgeons of England | 35-43 Lincoln’s Inn Fields | London WC2A 3PE

t: 020 7869 6545 | f: 020 7405 4438 | e: [log in to unmask] | w: http://www.rcseng.ac.uk

Please note I work part time at the College on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays

For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]