Sent: 04 August 2010 09:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SharePoint

Dear all,
Have been following the discussion on MSS 2010 with interest (and thanks James for that excellent article).  Now can we get down to the nitty griity?

The facts are:

*         SharePoint is being sold as the solution to pretty much everything.  Whether it does or doesn't do it all (and we know it doesn't) is irrelevant because...

*         Most SharePoint deployments are being driven by IT or devolved to individual departments.  This means that depts have SharePoint thrown at them, are given a bit of tekkie training (if they are lucky) and are left to get on with it.

*         SharePoint will continue to be deployed in preference to other tools/systems because it's - ostensibly - cheap.  In the current climate, that's what matters.

*         Most SharePoint administrators and probably 99% of users probably have little or no theoretical - or even practical - information and records management (IRM) training.

*         SharePoint doesn't have Outlook integration as standard.

*         SharePoint doesn't "do" records management, though as far as most organisations are concerned, what is does do is good enough and who really cares anyway?  Having no RM has worked a treat with email and shared network drives, hasn't it?  Why change the habits of a lifetime?

My questions are:

*         What are we IRMs doing about it?  We constantly hear that good governance is essential when SharePoint is deployed (well, of course), but where is the specific guidance for our organisations?   Are we actually saying that each deployment has to wait until we have gotten around to creating a (sort of) file plan/filing structure, metadata rules, disposal rules etc for everything in each site/sub-site - documents, blogs, discussion boards etc?  Ye gods.  I suppose that there may be organisations with umpteen records managers employed full-time to do this  work up front...

*         Because SharePoint deployment is usually an IT project none of the above will happen until after the fact, if at all (I'm sure there are some wonderful exceptions and if so please share your achievements!).  How do we deal with this issue?

My suggestions are:

*         Organisations are in dire need of practical guidance on what to do eg some basic down to earth advice on best practice re document libraries (how many of you have noticed sites where all documents, irrespective of what they are about, are just bunged under "Shared documents"?), what sort of metadata to include and why, how and why to mandate best practice eg by enabling version control, why it's crucial to monitor access permissions, have disposal rules...etc etc.

*         We could simply circulate guidance already in place ie the usual best practice bumph about managing permissions, managing folders, document naming conventions, security classifications, version control, disposal schedules etc and say that they apply equally to SharePoint or

*         We could create some SharePoint specific best practice guidance which users understand (eg why - as well as how - we need to have proper control and monitoring and someone managing the site who actually knows a bit about IRM, rules about how we name and version control documents, where we store them within the site - those document libraries again - whether we need to define content types - do we? - how long we keep them, essential metadata, should we "archive" documents, should we have records centres or manage in place etc).  This kind of guidance needs to encompass both MOSS 2007 and MSS 2010 and, as James has pointed out so clearly, that means non-system specific guidance on how to manage documents as records, whether or not to use folder structures etc.  All very confusing and if I'm confused, what about the poor user/administrator?

*         I lean to the second option because many of us have already had to produce best practice guidance on managing mailboxes and shared network drives in situ, so it seems logical to have some specifically for SharePoint.  I'm trying to write some but as I'm a total novice regarding SharePoint I'm quite frankly stuck.

My plea to the group is:

*         Would anyone who has already done this be willing to share with the rest of us to stop the dreaded re-invention of the wheel?  Help....

Clare

p.s. The points/thoughts/questions above are based entirely on reading articles and on discussions with IRMs and SharePoint users in other organisations, not on where I work.

Clare Cowling
Senior Compliance Adviser (Information & Records Management)
Corporate Governance Directorate
Transport for London
Windsor House, 42-50 Victoria Street, London SW1H 0TL
T: 020 7126 4236
F: 020 7126 3185
E: [log in to unmask]
Mobile: 07545200429

The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Transport for London hereby exclude any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy of the contents of this email and any attached transmitted files. If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited., If you have received this email in error please notify [log in to unmask], This email has been sent from Transport for London, or from one of the companies within its control within the meaning of Part V of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989. Further details about TfL and its subsidiary companies can be found at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ourcompany, This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]

This email originates from Wiltshire Council and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information and may be subject to Copyright or Intellectual Property rights. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the email from your inbox. Any disclosure, reproduction, dissemination, modification and distribution of the contents of the email is strictly prohibited. Email content may be monitored by Wiltshire Council to ensure compliance with its policies and procedures. No contract is intended by this email, and any personal opinions expressed in this message are those of the sender and should not be taken as representing views of Wiltshire Council. Please note Wiltshire Council utilises anti-virus scanning software but does not warrant that any e-mail or attachments are free from viruses or other defects and accepts no liability for any losses resulting from infected e-mail transmissions.
Receipt of this e-mail does not imply consent to use or provide this e-mail address to any third party for any purpose. Wiltshire Council will not request the disclosure of personal financial information by means of e-mail any such request should be confirmed in writing by contacting Wiltshire Council.