Hello all,

This is an interesting discussion, and all the points that people make about using better (or at least more suitable tools) are valid in and of themselves.

But I'd just like to add a couple of points (not necessarily based on my own activities / outlook, but I know they apply to quite a few of us).

Firstly, access to some or all of the proposed 'new media' applications is restricted in many workplaces, and thus unavailable during working hours.

Secondly, though most of us are diligent to a greater or lesser degree in developing ourselves professionally, many cannot easily do this outside working hours, as they have other responsibilities and commitments, or simply want to maintain a reasonable work-life balance.

I'm not saying that it is not a good idea to seek other forums for discussion - I have done so myself - but that to use them as an alternative to, rather than in parallel with, almost universally accessible tools such as e-mail lists could cut more than a few of our fellow-professionals out of the loop and severely dilute what may be the only stream of professional discourse and discussion readily available to all.

Regards,

Rachel.

Rachel Hardiman
Records Manager
NHS Business Services Authority
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 6SN

Tel: 0191 203 5351
Mob: 07776 498 791
Fax: 0191 244 6842
*** NHSBSA DISCLAIMER ***

To save paper, and to help our environmental footprint, please view
our e-mail disclaimer on our website at http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/email

For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]