To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed Aug 11 11:49:23 2010
Subject: Re: SharePoint

Hi all.

Great idea of Eleanor's to set up a group, and myself and Craig Ferguson (Records Manager at WCC) would be keen to be involved.

We almost got this going last year through Public Sector Forums but then they went into a bit of a problem, so the Sharepoint confernece never went ahead. We could try again to organise something between ourselves.

At Warwickshire CC we have been evaluating and using SP 2007 in various areas. Our Intranet has been using SP2007 for a while now. We ran an EDRM project in 2009 which included pilotted using for back office to hold scanned documents which worked well, and also trialled a project with collaboration.  I am currently evaluating SP2010 for the new features and records management capability. I'm using the "Dip into Sharepoint" free evaluation from ICS (www.sharepointadvantage.co.uk) while we resolve setting up on our own infrastructure.

My initial findings are that it has some good enhacements both using metadata, and with records management, with features like the content organizer. The fact MS have acknowledged people use folders to struture information is a step forward.  I believe it will suffice for our needs although I'm sure there are things we will find that don't work quite like we want them too. I see SP being split into more informal use with existing team fileplans, and more structured records for our document libraries, case files and back office use.  However, to work well with MS Office, we believe we will also need to upgrade users to Office 2010.

Any suggestions how we take a 'group' forward?

Andy Morrall
Corporate Information Manager
Warwickshire County Council
Tel: 01926 476882