Steve,

Thanks for the post. I read your blog more closely after I posted my comments. :)  Barn, horse, and open door (mouth) come to mind.  What fascinates me about this issue is that we are alive in a transitional phase within human existence.

I would say that the archival profession and records managers are seeing a change in their profession which is on par with the change from a spoken language to a written language.  The ancients relied upon mnemonic tricks and other memory devices to retain the important information about their societies.  Once writing began, those skills and the structure of society, that was based upon it, began to change.  One could argue that the second wave fully worked itself out into the bureaucratic state roughly around 1950ish and the rise of the computer readable form.

Now we are entering (by fits and starts) a third age, where the paper based age is giving way to an electronic age in which all our transactions are becoming electronic.  In this arena the service providers like Google and Microsoft will play a part, but only as enablers.  They are not providers, which is where archivists and records managers have a role.

In terms of where  the future of digital preservation does lie, I doubt it is with the major providers in part because that it not their business case.  Just as newspapers are not in the archive business, (although they may have archives) neither are the web service providers (yet) in that business.  The challenge is that archives as opposed to storage, is guided by the key question of who and why.  To archive something is based upon a distinct community fixed in time and space.   Archives as opposed to mass storage has to work by what it refuses as much as by what it includes.

Best,

Lawrence