From: Olivia Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:16 PM
Subject: (deadline EXTENDED): 'Exploring the everyday lives of young children: cross-disciplinary perspectives'
To: [log in to unmask]

With apologies for cross/repetitious posting...

A one-day seminar followed by a one-day doctoral symposium hosted by the Stirling Institute of Education.

Date: Monday 24th - Tuesday 25th January 2011
Venue: University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA

Call for Papers (deadline EXTENDED): Exploring the everyday lives of young children

This two-day event is being organised by the Toys and Technology research team at the Stirling Institute of Education. As part of our ESRC-funded project Young Children Learning with Toys and Technology at Home (2008-2011) we have been exploring the everyday lives of preschool children and we now invite researchers from a broad range of disciplines to present and discuss research that focuses on real-world issues in the lives of children who are five-years-old or younger.

We are seeking contributions from a wide range of approaches to research with young children. Papers are invited on theory, methods, policy and/or practice, to include (but not limited to) the following topics:

•         Health, wellbeing and the body
•         Technological change, popular culture and consumption
•         Material cultures
•         Transitions in early childhood
•         Young children’s experience of research
•         Young children and families

The seminar on day one will take the form of keynote presentations and short papers. Papers are welcomed from researchers (including PhD students) at any stage of their careers. Day two is a symposium specifically designed for doctoral students to present their research and receive feedback and advice from a panel of experts. Students who wish to present at the doctoral symposium are expected to attend both days.

Confirmed keynote speakers for day one include Professor Pia Christensen.
Confirmed panel of experts for day two: Professor Lydia Plowman, Professor Alan Prout and Professor Pia Christensen.

Cost: This event is free but places are limited. Participants are expected to cover their own costs for travel and accommodation. However, we will provide accommodation for a limited number of doctoral students who have no access to university support or other funding and wish to present at the symposium. If you would like to be considered please download and return the form along with your abstract by Thursday 30th September 2010.

The deadline for 250 word abstracts is Thursday 30th September 2010. For further information on the event and how to submit an abstract visit our website:
http://www.ioe.stir.ac.uk/research/projects/toys-and-tech/Exploring%20Everyday%20Lives/Callforpapers.php