Interesting (to me) how the language here has evolved since the Bodmer report 25 years ago.

The recommendation then was that no-one should be awarded a PhD (say) without doing something for public understanding of science.

I felt then, and still do, that this was unwise, a recipe for lots of poor quality efforts by the uncommitted. Some researchers, at least, ought to be left alone to get on with what they are good at - provided they pass other tests for funding such as quality, relevance, etc. Rewards, incentives and esteem for public engagement: fine. Making it mandatory: terrible idea.

By the same logic, Research Councils, and other institutions, should be judged on their commitment to public engagement, individual researchers notsomuch.