Interesting (to me) how the language here has evolved since the Bodmer
report 25 years ago.

The recommendation then was that no-one should be awarded a PhD (say)
without doing something for public understanding of science.

I felt then, and still do, that this was unwise, a recipe for lots of poor
quality efforts by the uncommitted. Some researchers, at least, ought to be
left alone to get on with what they are good at - provided they pass other
tests for funding such as quality, relevance, etc. Rewards, incentives and
esteem for public engagement: fine. Making it mandatory: terrible idea.

By the same logic, Research Councils, and other institutions, should be
judged on their commitment to public engagement, individual researchers
notsomuch.

--
Jon Turney

Science writer, editor, lecturer.

Author The Rough Guide to Genes and Cloning (2007)
The Rough Guide to the Future (2010)

blog(s) at
http://unreliablefutures.wordpress.com/

and