  From: Robyn Pound
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:40 AM
  Subject: Re: Is what I am doing a good idea?

                          Joan, Sara, Alan and Alan,
                          I am relating to so much of this conversation that I don't know which part to respond to to remain coherrent.  Such a shame language does not allow full access to thought processes. Only a fraction survives the process of putting it into words.
                          My immediate response to 'magic', which I experience and name quite often when I am working well, was recall of a truely magic moment some years ago.  I arrived at a house to visit a newborn first baby of an older couple who I had helped get rehoused in preparation for the birth.   The door was opened by the dishevelled giant of a man dressed all in black (by aesthetic chance not fashion I guess).   In the crook of his arm was the tiny pristine new baby.  I didn't stop my immediate impulse and said, 'Oh look at you standing there with that little baby.  I wish I had my camera!'  He grunted a syllable or two and as I followed him into the front room noticed him shuffling amongst the debris on a table, 'Where's the camera Jeannie?'

                          I took the photo but don't actually need to see it to recall the buzz in my chest and the joy I felt. Jack would probably call it a 'life affirming energy' and then say something about 'the future of humanity'.  I believe it was a special moment for them too, one of several that cemented our relationship.  We were in a moment of sharing that had warmth, connection and we were each willing to try our best for each other - not just me for them.   Six years on we are easy with each other as we work on the next round of the complex family stuff they live with.  The tasks are not always easy and sometimes I need to stand as professional.  We trust each other.   That is alongsideness for me, 'being' together as genuinely as happens when you feel close to others.

                          I actually don't really want to theorise it any more (would it be helpful for readers anyway?) but I do enjoy recalling and sharing magic moments.  I don't like using the word love in research because it has such different meanings for people, but I have to say that on a day like that love may just be the best way to explain it.

                          I don't know Bache's transpersonal psychology but it sounds as if it would sit comfortably with Alfred Adler who continues to be influential for me. His core is the social nature, the interconnectedness of human beings.  Adler, probably influenced by Jung in their vienna discussions, expanded his thinking to include the cosmos.   An important Adlerian premise that comes to me frequently while reading this list and explains for me the different perspectives we all have on fundamentally similar values at least is the idea that we each generate our our particular personal view of the world and how we belong in it.  He called it a unique 'story of life' or lifestyle but this word has different meanings these days.  He suggested we create or our unique view through our early years and it persists then unless challenged:
                             'the most important fact that not heredity and not environment are determining factors.-- Both are giving only the frame and the influences which are answered by the individual in regard to his styled creative power'.
                          Then looking behind to understand how each of us builds our individual motivations and interpretation of the world:
                            'There are no ‘chance memories’.  Out of the incalculable number of impressions which meet an individual, he chooses to remember only those which he feels, however darkly, to have a bearing on his situation.  Thus, his memories represent his ‘story of life’, a story he repeats to himself to warn him or comfort him, by means of past experiences, to meet the future with an already tested plan of action.
                          For me this helps explain why we cannot all see the world in the same way and how for Alan and Alan and Sara and Joan and me our views can never be exactly the same.  We need to build our own understanding that fits our 'bearing on the situation'.  This is not to say we cannot change our view but it is very likely that our view will always fit our 'story of life' unless we can change our understanding of our early experiences ...
                          I recognise some of the aspects of colonialism that Alan R speaks of but of course in 1950s New Zealand my influences were very different.  It is the word servant that I cannot take on as my own because of my own personal 'story of life'.   For me the impression I get about servant leadership is that it is doing what my good friend suggested we were doing in feminism in the 80s.  She said, 'a few of us ill go too far so that a few will follow a little way'.

                          These are just a few of my thoughts written in short bursts at either end of the working day- may be messy thinking but so many more influences have arrived since i began to write.
                          To work,
                          Robyn