Hi Kathy

What an awesome contribution! You gave me shivers down my spine - and reminded me of a couple of other pieces of work, that maybe I can share with you.

My colleagues and I at what was then The Waikato Polytechnic in Hamilton, New Zealand, were introduced to Purkey's work by Dr Patsy Paxton, a South African who'd studied with Purkey in the U.S. We subsequently incorporated invitational theory into our "Educational Theory" course in a Certificate that we all taught - you can see our account of the work at http://www.invitationaleducation.net/journal/v7n1.pdf  We were pretty impressed with invitational theory and its ability to connect with people from all kinds of ethnic backgrounds whom we had in the course. If other readers don't know of Purkey and Novak's work, I'd warmly recommend it. I still use Purkey's "being invitational with regard to people, places, processes, programmes and policies" in my work as an educator in a New Zealand university.

The other comment is around your comment "I am concerned that if I do not change my feelings about myself and how I do my practice; I will not be here much longer. "
And you seem to be wondering whether this is a valid research area. I would certainly assure you that it is. The work I was thinking of is not as 'threatening' as I'm reading in your situation - you seem to be querying your very purpose as a teacher. But it does show an interesting aspect of action research when the change occurs in the person, not in the external situation, although of course the first influences the latter. It involved a woman who did my action research course in the 1980s. She was very irritated by having to teach a typing programme called QuickType or something similar, which involved her students in typing nonsense syllables amongst other exercises. Her action research was really undertaken with the covert motive of gathering data to show her boss that the programme was unsatisfactory and should be replaced with something more meaningful. However in the process of interviewing respondents and gathering data, she found out that the only person who was irritated by the programme was herself; her students actually quite enjoyed it. So the change in her practice was an internal one. She had to re-adjust her thinking to recognise that it was her attitude that needed to change, not the programme. I report this fairly minor piece of research only to show you that 'internal research' has been written up as an action research report...and that reflecting on our own practice as teachers is entirely appropriate. In fact, my husband and I are about to present a paper at ALARA which has exactly this focus. It's examining whether and how we can work safely in cross-cultural contexts.

So, in my usual long-winded way, I'm saying PLEASE DO examine your own health and how you regard yourself as a teacher and as a person, as a valid form of research. I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable members on this list than I in terms of referring you to relevant research (Moira Laidlaw's excellent work in examining her own interactions with her students both in the UK and in China comes to mind here, but there will be many other examples). How can you be a good role model for your students, encouraging them to be healthy and to grow, if you don't apply the same lens to yourself? "No-one cares how much you know until they know how much you care", and that's for yourself as well.

Go well, Kathy, and look after yourself. And I just know that your students will blossom because you have done so.

Warm regards

Pip Bruce Ferguson (New Zealand)

p.s. just in case you need reminding, I've just found this online (thank you, google!) From http://www.beaufortccc.edu/news/PDF/invitation.pdf
Being Personally Inviting With Oneself
Get sufficient sleep                 Get there early
Try a new recipe                     Grow a garden
Buy something new                 Listen to good music
Take a bubble bath                 Have lunch with a friend
Allow for private time             Get tickets to a play
Learn to laugh more                 Rearrange the furniture
Try a new cereal                     Value your uniqueness
Attack your clothes closet         Compliment yourself
Celebrate holidays
Develop loving relationships
Monitor your internal dialogue     Take long walks
Get medical care when needed     Eliminate smoking
Avoid high cholesterol foods         Drink lots of water
Develop positive food habits         Get a massage
Fasten your safety belt                 Join a gym class
Maintain dental hygiene                 Go to a spa
Take stairs instead of elevator        Exercise at home
Beware of junk food                     Breath fresh air
Maintain one clothing size
Ration intake of salt
Practice defensive driving
Visit the dentist on schedule
Arrange an annual Physical checkup
Write a paper                             Participate in politics
Browse through a library             Start a collection
Work on a degree                     Take a course
Visit a museum                             Join a book club
Share a hobby                             Learn a new sport
Keep up with current events
Attachment 7
Being Professionally Inviting With Oneself
Try a new method                     Dress professionally
Seek certification                         Arrive early
Join professional groups             Serve on Boards
Write a professional article         Attend a conference
Learn a new skill                         Brighten your office
Welcome change                         Be ethically aware
Release your imagination             Manage your time
Write down your thoughts
Read professional journals
Encourage professional exchanges