What is Servant Leadership?

"The servant-leader is servant first… It begins with the natural feeling that one wants to serve, to serve first. Then conscious choice brings one to aspire to lead. That person is sharply different from one who is leader first, perhaps because of the need to assuage an unusual power drive or to acquire material possessions…The leader-first and the servant-first are two extreme types. Between them there are shadings and blends that are part of the infinite variety of human nature."

"The difference manifests itself in the care taken by the servant-first to make sure that other people’s highest priority needs are being served. The best test, and difficult to administer, is: Do those served grow as persons? Do they, while being served, become healthier, wiser, freer, more autonomous, more likely themselves to become servants? And, what is the effect on the least privileged in society? Will they benefit or at least not be further deprived?"
This is the context and measure we use in working toward becoming servant lewaders within their organization. Action Research becomes a very valuable strategy to "test" for Servant Leadership. I believe that a real dialogue can foster this connection.
Regards,
Alan

Dr. Alan Markowitz
Director, Graduate Programs in Education
(973) 290-4328