Hi, Klaus,

If you read my post, you'll see a somewhat different point to the point
that you attribute to me. It's clear that the morphology of the word
research indicates a formal structure comprised of a prefix “re” and
a word stem “search.”

What I say is that morphology is not helpful here, because the prefix
“re” in the word “research” doesn't indicate the meanings you
attribute to it.

Even though we were not there when the word was first used in English,
lexicographers have access to thousands of usage exemplars in context.
Based on this information, lexicographers have a reasonable idea of what
the word meant when it was first used, the meanings it has had across
the years since, and the meanings that it has in the present day.

Scientific research is only one form of research. I’d argue that
among the many research traditions, there are forms of future-oriented
research aimed at creating preferred states, that is, design research.
Ultimately, of course, we’ve got to find out whether we’ve actually
created a preferred state, and at that point, we look back, searching
again, to see if we’ve done what we set out to do. But before we’ve
done it, our research is future oriented.

The other day, I mentioned a rich range of broad categories of
research: theoretical, empirical, conceptual, positive, descriptive but
not positivistic, normative, mathematical, logical, philosophical,
historical, textual, exegetical, hermeneutic, interpretive,
phenomenological. Some flavors of these require looking back, others
looking forward, some both. Some also explore the present -- though, as
Augustine noted, the present becomes the past at just about the moment
we understand it to be here. Research in the present is therefore only
roughly present, but it remains distinct from a defined past.

The formal structure of the word “research” show two syllables,
“re” and “search.” No question about it. I have not disputed
that fact.

What I dispute is the meaning of the prefix “re” in the structure
of this specific word. If you look up the prefix “re” in
Webster’s, you’ll find that in this word, it does not form the
same kind of word as the many words in which “re” means “again.”
That is why the word “research” does not appear on the list of words
formed when the prefix “re” has the meanings you attribute to it.

I agree with much of what you’ve written in your reply, and I also
agree that the word “research” has the morphology you describe.
Where I disagree is in the meaning you attribute to the prefix "re" in
this specific word.

In the word “research,” the morphology of the word is irrelevant to
the meanings you attribute to it. On this, Webster’s provides the
evidence of a massive list of words that do take the meaning you
attribute. The word “research” is not among them.

The reason I continue to struggle with this is that you continue to
respond with objections and counter-arguments. It would be irresponsible
of me not to substantiate my position. If you offer an argument that
leads me to change my view, I will change my view and say so.

Yours,

Ken

Klaus Krippendorff wrote:

--snip--

i don't know why you are so insistent that morphologically,
“research” does not consist of the prefix “re” and the word
stem “search.” you said that the english “research” comes from
the french “recherche” which my dictionary breaks down into the very
same two components “re-cherche,” searching repeatedly.

--snip--