Hi all,
Whether Terry has got it right or not is one question.  (I personally think
he's on the right track.)

But I am quite certain he's got the right approach: identify characteristics
(or properties, or attributes, or whatever you want to call 'em) that assume
different "values" (possibly only ordinal) across some spectrum of values of
interest.  Where the characteristic changes marks a boundary.  Find the
boundaries, and you can then categorize what's on one side and on the other
side based on those boundaries.

Same argument, put another way: one of the problems, I think, with using
handy phrases like on/about/for is that the same labels mean different
things to different people.  To try to fix that, one might focus more on the
nature of the concepts labelled 'on', and 'about', and 'for' and less on
labels like 'design' and 'research'.

Cheers.
Fil

--