-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens John Dillon
Verzonden: zaterdag 14 augustus 2010 0:25
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 13. August

I've been using the descriptor "writing desk" for this object since 2007,
when I borrowed it, along with an image of the object, from another
contributor to this list.  No one having questioned the aptness of that
descriptor then, I just copied it from year to year.  The top is obviously
not a writing surface but I have wondered whether the object has a shallow
compartment that permitted a perhaps traditional characterization of it as a
"writing desk" in the sense of a portable desk in which one kept such
writing utensils as a stylus and a wax tablet.

The object is usually referred to as a "reading desk".  I have also seen it
referred to as a "prayer desk".  In the images linked to below it does
appear to slope:
http://www.nipissingu.ca/department/history/muhlberger/4505/desk01.gif
http://tinyurl.com/63v3xr

Best again,
JD

On Friday, August 13, 2010, at 12:36 pm, Henk wrote:

> This is a writing desk? Very unlikely. If you put a piece of vellum on
> that
> you'll get a pretty uneven result when you write on it. It's also not
> sloping, which all medieval writing desks were, and it has no
> upstanding rim
> at one side to prevent the vellum sliding off. This is NOT a writing desk.
>
> Henk

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]