Colleagues,

I am currently doing research on a 19th century church in St. Augustine, Florida, called Memorial Presbyterian Church. It was built in a Romanesque-Byzantine style with Moorish influences. Set out in the form of a Latin cross, the axis of the church runs from north to south but the community uses the east entrance and the pulpit and altar are in the west end of the transept. The architectural plans indicate this was the intent for the sanctuary from the beginning despite the fact that the main entrance and facade are on the south end of the church. Many of you have visited and studied medieval churches throughout Europe. Have you ever encountered a church were the pulpit and altar were in the transept and the congregational seating was adjusted accordingly? Thanks in advance for any assistance you might provide me.

Dr. Timothy J. Johnson
Professor of Religion
Chair, Liberal Studies Department
Flagler College
74 King Street | Saint Augustine, FL 32084
904.819.6266 | Fax: 904.826.0094

www.flagler.edu

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]