Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:05:30 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] photography in Venetian churches
To: [log in to unmask]

My tip for San Marco is simple: turn up when it opens. I was there at about 7am in high season and the place was open and empty apart from a few worshippers. I didn't try wandering beyond the enclosure in the N transept and adjacent side chapel that was open for the service (though my experience in English cathedrals is that things throughout can be *very* relaxed at this time; and - to add to the anthropological discussion - it is often senior male clerics who are most officious about such things). But it was worth it to have the place virtually to myself and actually with the atmosphere of a place of worship; and although this would be useless to anyone wanting to systematcially record the building I was free to get excellent shots into the central dome, across the transept, and of the mosaics there.

Jon

--

Mobile:
07768 234168