Maddy,
One of the problems here is that such local pilgrimage shrines were
often quite short-lived: thaumaturgical enthusiasm flared up and then
died down again, often moving elsewhere.  This makes it difficult to
make clear differentiations between a statue of the Virgin and Child as
a devotional image, which was extremely common, and a cult image, to
which people resorted for thaumaturgical interventions.  The same
applied to many relics. It was only the most successful pilgrimage
shrines that lasted, and they were probably in the minority.  Thanks,
anyway, for the further reference here.
Cheers,
Jim