Laura et al,
I posted my last message before reading George's. I recall buying a ticket for something at Ss. G e P, but don't remember for what.
As for San Marco, the crowds are always so enormous, it would take one guard/5 tourists to enforce any rules about photography. The ones that are there strive mightily but in vain to prevent photos. If you look at the recently added album (upper left column), you'll notice people taking pictures right after Mass. I *think* I recall a few flashes going off during services. Flashes and gold mosaics don't play nice together so their rude behavior was probably not rewarded.
With all due respect for George and for a country I adore and visit often, I would suggest that Italians have zillions of rules almost none of which is obeyed. Have you driven in Italy lately? If so, did you notice anyone doing the speed limit or under?
The only church in which I couldn't sneak more than two pictures was Sta Maria Assunta (BTW, Happy Feast to all the Mary's on the list) in Torcello. There were too few tourists to give each other cover and an extremely zealous guard. Galleries and museums seem to have the most successful prohibitions against photos but even so, I've managed a few transgressions. My "trick" is to silence utterly my camera. You'll have to dig into your camera settings for this.
Sorry about the lengthy post. And I repeat my caveat about pictures for use in publication. That's another can of worms...
MG

Marjorie Greene
http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/