Yes, St Peter's (still) has its altar in the west, as do the other great
Roman basilicas of the era. The celebrant stood behind the altar and faced
the east, where the entrance is. There is argument currently taking place
about the meaning and liturgical consequences of this occidentation,
especially since Klaus Gamber has argued -- oddly, it seems to me, but what
do I know? -- that during the eucharistic prayer the congregation also
turned to face the east, i.e., with their backs to the altar.

I have not read it, but I gather the latest study of consequence is Uwe
Michael Lang, *Turning Towards the Lord: Orientation in Liturgical Prayer*,
San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2004. Perhaps some of our liturgical experts
can comment further. -- Paul

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014 |

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]