Dear MeCCSA members,

I am writing an article for the next MeCCSA newsletter on how the cuts in University funding are likely to impact on our field(s) and/or departments. It may be that your own department has already come under threat of redundancies or even closure; it may be that discussions in your institution are focussing on how to maximise income rather than cutting back and are considering initiatives such as increasing the numbers of overseas students or expanding Masters programmes. Whatever level the discussion is at I would like to collate information in order to write a meaningful article to enable our field to share experiences and prepare as best we can for the difficult years ahead.

I would be most grateful if you could write back to me at [log in to unmask]  in total confidence with as much or as little information you have to respond to the following questions:

1.  How has your institution responded to the cuts in University funding?

2.  How does the response of your institution impact on your department?

3. How will/has the response of your institution and your department  impact(ed) on your own position and academic life?

The MeCCSA Executive Committee have also been made aware that some people are feeling so anxious about their position that they are concerned about speaking out. If this is the case then I am particularly interested in hearing from such people and will of course ensure that any information is not attributable to any individual.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SEND ANY INFORMATION YOU FEEL YOU CAN SHARE DIRECTLY TO ME AT [log in to unmask] by 6 September 2010.

Many thanks

Natalie Fenton
MeCCSA Executive
Goldsmiths, University of London