Gerry

I don't believe for a second that you'll read this response to your latest ramblings and I'm keenly aware that, by replying, I'm just "feeding the troll" (to use an old internet expression).

Having read interviews you've given in the past, it's clear that you are obsessed with your many blogs and how highly they rank.  And, I'm sure, if I too were to spam every library email list if I could find with messages that seem to do little more than contain links back to my blog (known in the trade as "link spam"), I too could dance with Leprechauns and achieve a high Technorati rank.  Personally, I don't believe for a minute that you have as high a ranking as you claim -- anyone who has had the misfortune to browse one of your blogs will know that your posts rarely attract any comments.  It's perhaps worth noting that the most respected library bloggers out there (I'm thinking here of people like Michael Stephens, Sarah Houghton-Jan, Jenny Levine, Jessamyn West, et al) don't feel the need to behave in the way you do.

Like others, I wonder if you really have a day job?  I also wonder what your colleagues and bosses think?  From what I gather, they choose to turn a blind eye to the hours you spend sending out link spam to mailing lists.

Like all prolific spammers, you work on the assumption that by spamming thousands of people, you might (purely by chance) make a connection with a couple of people of are genuinely interested in what you have to say (and they probably subscribed to your blog anyway). And, like all prolific spammers, you care not for the majority who regard your ramblings as a nuisance.  Seriously Gerry, is your Library Messiah Complex so far advanced now that you believe the onus is on us to find new ways of blocking your emails?  Those who have been trying to do that for years tell me that you frequently change your email address.

You claim to only posts things that you believe are relevant?  I see very little evidence of that.  In fact, I believe it is one of the primary reasons why you have been blocked from so many email lists.  Did you honestly believe that the email below was so extra relevant, so incredibly important, so "stop what you're doing and listen to me" that you had to post it twice just to this list?

There was a time when I wondered if I was alone in finding your emails irritating and a complete waste of my time, but not now.  Gerry -- if highly respected UK academics and librarians such as Dr Charles Oppenheim, Prof Bruce Royan and Brian Kelly were asking me to stop posting to the lists that they contribute to, I'd seriously rethink my actions.  In fact, I'd be genuinely embarrassed.

Speaking to others, I know of at least 20 instances of librarians choosing to unsubscribe from mailing lists purely because they are fed up of reading your sprawling, incoherent emails (if we apply the 90/9/1 rule here, then I suspect the true figure is in the 100s).  I used to subscribe to dozens of library mailing lists myself (including many of the JISCMail lists), but the daily ritual of deleting dozens of duplicate copies of your spams became too much -- I found that unsubscribing from those lists entirely was a much more productive use of my time.

I only recently rejoined LIS-WEB2 because I believed that you'd been blocked from this list.  I've been around a bit (over 15 years as a web developer within a library environment) and I like to feel that I might know some things that could be of help to others on LIS-WEB2.  However, I have no interest in ramming things down people's throats -- I'm happy to wait until someone asks a question that I feel I can answer.  However, if you intend to start spamming LIS-WEB2 again, then I'm afraid it'll just end up being another mailing list that you've forced me unsubscribe from.  But, I doubt you care -- as long as you keep getting a small trickle to people clicking through to your blog, you can continue to claim that you're important, that you're special, that others look to you to be their guiding light in these dark and dangerous times.

So, Gerry -- a personal plea: please take a long holiday, please re-evaluate how you choose to conduct yourself in front of your peers, and please stop spamming the few remaining email lists that I subscribe to :-(

Dave Pattern
Library Systems Manager
University of Huddersfield