I agree that the heading 'Indians' for Native Americans is out of date and I would never think of using 'East Indians' for people living in India. However, I found a website where 'American Indians' is used extensively (http://www.firstpeople.us/). Perhaps the names 'Native Americans' and 'American Indians' are both in common use, hence the reference made from the former to the latter in LCSH. There is alo the refetrence from 'First Nations (North America)' which is also used in current literature.

Colin Duncan

Electronic services Librarian

Inverclyde Libraries

Central Library, Clyde Square, Greenock PA15 1NA

Tel: 01475 712348

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/libraries

Twitter: @InverclydeLibs

Inverclyde Libraries Logo Colour

Inverclyde Council                                                                                         Email Disclaimer

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed and is not intended to be relied upon by any person without subsequent written confirmation of its contents. Accordingly, Inverclyde Council disclaim all responsibility and accept no liability (including in negligence) for the consequences for any person acting, or refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt by those persons of subsequent written confirmation.

If you have received this E-mail message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone. Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer.

Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this E-mail message is strictly prohibited..