Frances,
This is a good point. I suspect the main reason is that until now Reading
Groups have not only been main stream but a significant part of our move
to increase issues and visitor figures. Now of course and suddenly we're
faced with a completely different set of beans to count - how much money
will the government let us have? Therefore, what can we do to raise income
and ensure that at least some of the good work we've all been doing
doesn't disappear over the hill with our budgets.

I'm slightly surprised this conversation has taken place only on Lis pub
Libs - so if I've done the e-mail address right I'm trying to forward it
to the Reader Development list as well, as this is surely an important
question for their work.

Alyson Hogarth
Stock Manager
Middlesbrough Libraries and Information
01642 729420

Frances Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries" <[log in to unmask]>
16/08/2010 14:17
Please respond to
Frances Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: Reading Groups and charges

I have glimpsed at these emails on Charges for reading groups

One thing that amazes me (and it is not that you should charge for a
premium
service)., BUT that you are charging so little, without any sense of why
that amount has been chosen. Is it based on a true business case, taking
into account all costs, of space, time, labour?

Frances Hendrix
Martin House Farm, Hilltop Lane, Whittle le Woods, Chorley, Lancs PR6 7QR,

UK
tel: 01257 274 833.  fax: 01257 266 488
email: [log in to unmask]