A couple of people have mentioned using Mosaic geodemographic classification of their library users (I got an e-mail from another county council about Mosaic too – though I couldn't spot it here).

As far as I can tell Mosaic tells us *where* things happen, whereas (Maslow-based) 'Psychographic segmentation' can tell us *why* things happen.

You probably need a bit of both to satisfy most business issues.

If I turn up anything more about why the 'why' aspect is important, I'll let you know... ;-)

The Lakewood Public Library (in the US) has used some segmentation models, but I'm unclear whether this led to any improvements to their services: see http://www.lkwdpl.org/focus/
(This could be like the case of those web metrics reports that emerge ever so easily these days, often resulting in no actions or improvements to websites at all).

If anyone can share any of the insights or changes that have resulted from their use of Mosaic, I'd be interested to hear.

Matthew Mezey
(News Editor, Library & Information Update magazine, CILIP)