As a retired librarian, booksller and consultant  may I suggest that in meeting the present challenges to public library services Friends of Libraries and User Groups can be powerful advocates for the services that people use. The Library Campaign www.librarycampaign.co.uk has a lot of useful information on setting up such groups.
Geoffrey Smith

--- On Fri, 27/8/10, Ward, Carrie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Ward, Carrie <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Libraries making the news again! Customers views.
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, 27 August, 2010, 14:41

Dear everyone, as one of those not normally posting, I can state that Gaynor is correct, we are extremely busy serving the real public. I have also been following the debate with considerable interest and also raised the matter of what libraries do provide with our customers, the view held by several customers is that we do not make people aware of all the services we could and should be providing, and that is where the main problem lies. Our customers really do value our services , many seeing the relevance of services to themselves personally and would really miss us if we were unable to continue providing them.
So we need to champion our services and enable people to see how services are relevant, or we will suffer the consequences.
Carrie Ward, Librarian, Luton,
Please note these are my personal views not necessarily those of held by my employer.

IMPORTANT: Luton Cultural Services Trust routinely monitors the content of e-mail sent
and received by its e-mail systems, to ensure compliance with its policies and procedures.

E-mails that contain encrypted material, program files, are obscene, inflammatory,
criminal, offensive, in breach of copyright or contain a virus or threat to Trusts`s
computer systems may be intercepted and/or deleted.

Internet communications are not secure.
The Trust is not responsible for any changes made to the message after it has
been sent.

This& amp; nbsp;message is intended only for the addressee. Any unauthorised copying or
distribution may be unlawful.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at
Luton Cultural Services Trust HQ,
Luton Central Library,
St George's Street,
Luton, LU1 2NG,
tel: 01582 547470
or by using the reply option to this e-mail.
Then delete this message from your system.