Gary

I completely agree with Gaynor and I am glad that she has put this view.
Hooray! There are a lot of us working hard to publicise develop and
deliver services and work with partners internal and external to
continue to raise our profile and increase use. This means, like Gaynor
and lots of others,  that I do not have the time to exchange words on
this forum-rather that I am practically trying to achieve what everyone
seems to be saying we are not doing. Our use has gone up since we
embarked on a Library Modernisation Programme and the trend continues.
We have 7 day a week opening and lots of partnerships, existing and in
negotiation. We created a new model of service delivery called Library
Links and are rolling out self-service. Of course there is support for
libraries and their role in public libraries up and down the
country-sadly some of us just do not have the time to communicate
throughout the day on the list-yet we subscribe to keep abreast of
important contributions to the profession, the service and wider public
services. Be assured that we are all working hard to influence local
decision making where we are able, we also are making our services the
most efficient and effective they can be for what our users and
residents want as surely this in the end is the most powerful, visible
advocacy for our services.

Yes, we are extremely concerned about possible local impacts on the
services we care so passionately about, and of course nationally too. We
hope that by thinking outside the box and putting these thoughts into
practice as well as all possible ways for efficiency, that we can
preserve the core service that we all believe in as professionals.

Incidently, there have been some criticisms of CILIP's lack of voice
over the last few days. I am sure that colleagues are aware that the
organisation has lost it's major voice in Bob McKee and is struggling to
recover from the shock of his sudden death.

I felt it important to respond to show you that silent voices are doing
something.

Jen Beardsmore
Head of Service-Library Operations
Dudley Libraries