Hello Frances,

My but you're busy today!

It seemed a reasonable idea when I woke up horribly early yesterday morning but then the day took a rather different turn and I found myself being operated by Tim Coates for a while there. Sometimes I think I'm too accommodating for my own good :)

Yes "develop" of course. I was indeed aiming far too low. But what are the chances of a co-ordinated campaign for libraries do you think? It feels like the Labour Party in Kinnock's time at the moment.

There appear to be several arenas in which the library debate is currently taking place. The profession speaks here, on Twitter, on the blogs, through the professional associations and occasionally in the press. The booksellers and publishers have an almost entirely separate debate going on amongst themselves - in the Bookseller and on its blogs (well done Biddy for making the librarians' voice heard there by the way)through the Bookseller's and Publisher's Associations and critically in the media - especially the Beeb. For some reason BBC journos seem more tuned into that debate than this one, perhaps because they feel more at home with those that craft the content than the librarians who merely curate.

The good news over the last few days has been that libraries are in the public eye - and seem to be getting some very favourable reviews in the vox pops, almost as good as nurses! The bad news is that somehow, librarians themselves don't always seem to enjoy the same public affection as NHS workers.

Why might that be? I think we need to look carefully at what is being said, and who is saying it. Library campaigners, like the man who had his hand up my back yesterday (albeit blessedly briefly), are focused on the public LIBRARIES - not the librarians. Indeed Tim has never made any secret of the fact that he has very little regard for librarians. Indeed he seems to see them as being the principal architects of the decline (real or conjured) in library usage judging by comments he (or his cat) have written on any number of blogs lately. Odd that. I bet most heads of service feel that council officers might have something to do with it too…

I was asked yesterday why Tim didn't make his own interventions on the list. I had the same thought, I'm sure we'd give him a warm welcome.

So how do we capitalise on all the good news stories and raise the profile of the librarians? Will Roy's alliance deliver positive messages about the value of library staff? Will the unions and the professional associations work together? Or will this man get his wish and be able to borrow books at his boozer? http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/1386206.profits_pour_in_for_taverns/

Mick Fortune

m. +44 (0)7786 625544

Can you afford NOT to attend this year's RFID conference?