  From: Gibbs, Jonathan
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:36 AM
  Subject: Re: Libraries making the news again!

  On the subject of insulting, I found the closing remark by Evan Davis advocating the use of Amazon by those deprived of libraries  indicates that BBC presenting staff have no immediate danger of falling into the 'low paid workers' category. According to a notoriously unreliable online resource, Mr Davis apparently has form for this - a book entitled 'Public Spending' in which he urged private companies to replace the public sector in providing public services.

  Now that the barbarians are no longer merely at the gates, but apparently sitting on the lawn in deckchairs waiting for local authorities to shred public library provision thus obviating the need to repeal the '64 Act, it would be wonderful to imagine some rear-guard defence from the profession.  A Chief Officer or two stepping up to champion services perhaps?  We cannot hope to escape from this horrible recession unscathed, but there is no other job I can envisage where there is an obligation to ensure that generations to come have at least some of the wonderful resources we currently enjoy.  And if that means re-educating broadcasters so that they see the worth of libraries and avoid ill-informed comedy pieces (however inspired they might be by politicians), then we've made a start.

  Jonathan  Gibbs
  I.T. and Operations Librarian, Barbican Library

  020 7638 0569 ext. 7885