From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mick Fortune
Sent: 25 August 2010 14:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Libraries making the news again!

Hi Gary

It's all about "sector engagement" - i.e how individuals interact with cultural, media and sporting activities. In the handful of questions selected to determine public use of libraries it states that the interviewer should point out that use of the library for paid work or study should be excluded.

So what matters is, I guess, which set of figures do those people mentioned by Roy earlier today believe - their library's, or the DCMS'? Given that only visits to a physical public library building for purposes other than research, work or study appear to be being  counted - and that only 6000+ responses may be responsible for causing 600-1000 branches to close (Tim Coates), it would seem rather a weak case to argue. The prominence that media and government have given it suggest that there may be other agendas in play here.

So I'm not sure it matters much what the REAL number of visits are - or how they are counted - if the DCMS report is considered authorative then that's the one we have to deal with isn't it?

Mick

Mick Fortune

m. +44 (0)7786 625544

Can you afford NOT to attend this year's RFID conference?