The point of the statistics has probably been ignored by many commentators, as much as the finer points of the debate - that it is only library visits that have been counted, not library use (including online), issues, etc.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dash Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date: August 25, 2010 1:13:23 PM BDT
To: Debby Raven <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Libraries making the news again!

 Managed to send this to Alan earlier and forgot to include the list!

Another aspect here is what proportion of visitors are unique. Visitor counters would count the same user every time they visited which could be several times a day every day the library was open. That wouldn't match up at all with the way the DCMS survey is conducted.

We've had a marked increase in visitors (between 7% and 15% 2009/10 against 2008/9) but our libraries also handle some other council services so the visitors may not be using the library for borrowing or studying purposes.

Our overall stock figure also increased very slightly (under 1%) so no reduction in the number of items to borrow.

Graham

Graham Dash, MCLIP, Library Services Manager (Systems & Development)
Environment & Leisure Group, Leisure & Libraries
London Borough of Sutton, Central Library, St Nicholas Way, SUTTON, Surrey  SM1 1EA .

Tel.: 020 8770 4763, Mobile: 07515137830, Fax: 020 8770 4777

Borough web site: www.sutton.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=907
Library Catalogue web site: www.sutton-libraries.gov.uk