Hi Sue

I put a similar question out a few months back on different lists with specific reference to social networking.

In Portsmouth we only have 2 layers of filtering.

Adult: ages 16 onwards

Children: 0 – 15 with access to social networking and youtube etc.

Whilst the children love this situation, I do get a lot of calls from staff seeking clarification on the age restrictions for getting a Facebook account as many children pretend to be 13.

I raised the possibility of splitting the children's filtering profile into 2 so only children aged 13 and above could access social media, but the IS Department seemed unsure if this was possible. Like you, if I want this done I would probably have to push.

We pride ourselves on providing a relevant and responsive PN service to our young people, but we're not unmindful of the potential pit falls. Most of our problems in this area occur when children cause disruption in libraries by arguing between themselves about abusive postings on Facebook etc. We’ve had no problems with youtube to my knowledge, only some parents querying the exotic nature of some of the pop videos the kids watch.

I've attached a list of libraries who responded to my question.

Best wishes

Patricia Garrett
E-Development Librarian
Portsmouth Central Library