Dear members of the list,

Can anyone help with identifying this manuscript or the people mentioned in the accompanied letter. Details below and attached.

Arabic manuscript with an enclosed letter dated 7 April 1913.

The letter was written by Ghattas Yususf Khori, who was most probably a dealer at that time, and sent to Farid (or Fred ?) Bek Bolad, the Bridge engineer for the Egyptian Government Railways in Egypt at the time, suggesting to him to consider the concerned manuscript for the new library of Science and Math that was being established at that time.

Al-Jarida newspaper issue 6 April 1913 announced, according to the letter, Farid Bek Bolad as an effective member at the conference which studied the project of the establishment of this International Library of Science and Math. Mr. Khori read that piece of news in al-Jarida and decided to contact Mr. Bolad the following day with the offer of this manuscript.

It would be very useful for me if anyone could confirm that a Farid/Fred Bek Bolad did exist and if there is any information on him and his contributions to the Library.

Also, if anyone has any connections with al-Jarida newspaper and could help with some information about their 6 April 1913 issue and whether or not it did mention Farid/Fred Bek Bolad and his involvement in the conference, I’d appreciate that.

I still do not know whether or not this manuscript was eventually published or not. Mr. Khori mentions in his letter that parts of it were printed. Can any of the list members identify it?

I have no doubt that the letter is genuine and authentic. Below is a translation of the letter for your consideration and the Arabic one is attached.

Tanta in April 7th year 1913

... affandim Farid Bek Bolad, Bridge engineer for the Egyptian Government Railways in Egypt.

The current 6th (of this month) I reviewed al-Jarida Newspaper seeing your Excellency was affirmed as an effective member before … conference to study the project of the establishment of an international library of Sciences and Math and the delegation of your Excellency to report about the changes that have occurred to mathematical sciences in the Egyptian realm since the times of ... Mohamed Ali Pasha and I have with me a copy that was made according to the instructions of ... the commander of the army and navy (Ibrahim Pasha the great) and it was copied on Thursday Ramadan 21 year 1195 AH. Complete as is and containing diagrams as regards sea mines and the installation of electricity and composed of nine completed parts.

1. Part 1: Summary of algebra
2. Part2: 22 first class Questions
3. Part 3: Square, Square roots and Formulae
4. Part 4: Square and Square roots level two
5. Part 5: Rules of Algorithm, Teacher James Gartiman the foundation of which is ten questions
6. 6: Part two: Triangles and straight lines [Trigonometry ?]
        Part three: Triangles and Spheres
7      Part Four: The Shining Pearl in Sea Mines (Has beautiful hand drawn Diagrams)
       Reviewed and corrected in Arabic by the renowned scientist sheikh Mustafa Ezz and drawn by the help of Ahmed Hassan under the supervision of Ali effendi ... the lieutenant that was stationed at the Torpido Barraks as ordered by ... the commander of the Army and Navy.
8. (fifth) In Sailing Warships (Egyptian State at the time of Mohamed Ali)
9. (Sixth) as regards the order of the soldiers at the cannon ... and the teaching of the sword use.
  the second in the explanation of distance calculation and penetrating defenses.

It is of small size and big use and has beautiful hand drawn diagrams and was not fully printed (so I hope that you see what you think fit) And I found it with difficulty and I paid 50 Pounds and ... the print and now since I cannot I came to Tanta to show it to you (and I am permitted to as my assistant and I am prepared to accept your order with more thanks and I beg for acceptance of my sincerest respects.) And I hope you take it from Tanta to the capital to the minister of knowledge to order it to be printed and distributed at schools and that the knowledge and use be made public as your Excellency sees this copy …

Ghatts Youssef Khory
PO Box No. 8, peripheral

With warm regards and many thanks for your time,

Dr. Meis Al-Kaisi

Islamic Manuscripts

Direct Line: + 44 (0)20 7297 4879

Bernard Quaritch Ltd            Tel:      + 44 (0)20 7297 4888

40 South Audley Street        Fax:      + 44 (0)20 7297 4866

London, W1K 2PR                        www.quaritch.com

Vat No GB 840 1358 54