-----Original Message-----
From: A general Library and Information Science list for news and
discussion. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Exelby Alan Mr
(LIB)
Sent: 10 August 2010 13:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: (ll) Scholarship 2.0 Facebook

Sorry, I cannot agree; this response itself loses all perspective. No-one is
depriving Gerry McK of his right to freedom of expression, but freedom of
expression does not require that other people have to pay attention to that
expression. To put in the context of the print technologies when these
rights were developed: you can print what you like, but no-one else is
obliged to buy or read what you say. Given the special conditions for the
net, there are special rules, which include the principle that postings to
mail lists should be relevant to the topic of the list; and other
subscribers are perfectly within their rights to complain about posts they
do not believe are within those rules. Trying to frame this in terms of
freedom of expression is going way overboard.

For myself, I delete his posts unread due to their uncritical technophilia
(along with unintelligible postings by other persons), but given the scale
of rubbish I receive, I don't find this especially onerous - but there are
often far more than "less than 1 a day", and I would certainly be glad to
see them stopped.

Alan

==============================
Mr A.V. Exelby,
Systems/Databases Librarian.
The Library,
University of East Anglia,
Norwich, NR4 7TJ

Tel.: 01603 592432
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Information Services
"Man, who'd have thought being a librarian could be so tough"
Seamus Harper, in 'Harper 2.0', "Andromeda".