On 2010-08-01, at 7:48 AM, leo waaijers wrote:

Your reply is demonstrating my point.

I am not so sure that the jisc-repositories list is indifferent to this discussion as
your rigidity is more than a 'futility'. It has far reaching strategical consequences. Currently, we see a three party game between the Green, the Gold and the Gatekeeper. My plea is a co-operation between the Green and the Gold. Your rigidity is an obstacle to that. You may not be powerful, but you are highly influential. It is the Green-Gold dichotomy that enables the Gatekeeper to simply do nothing and maintain the status quo.

No, I don't think my reply is demonstrating your point (which is that my rigidity  is slowing the progress of OA), Leo.

Rather, I think it is demonstrating (once again) that you (and, alas, many, many others of like mind) are not interested in reflecting upon or responding to the very specific, substantive points I keep making about the green/gold strategic contingency/priority question.

Your plea for "co-operation between the Green and the Gold" sounds ecumenical enough -- let 1000 flowers bloom -- but what it really means is that one should not, for example, criticize the Association of Netherlands Universities for reaching a collective agreement to pay Springer for Gold OA while not a single Netherlands university or funder has yet mandated green OAhttp://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/703-guid.html

I find that such a colossal head-shaker that I can scarcely understand why you would regard it as rigidity to criticize it -- rather than rigidity to be impervious to criticism!

I can illustrate (again) here, with elements of this discussion. You speak of "a three party game between the Green, the Gold and the Gatekeeper" -- as if OA were about "us" (the green and gold teams) against "them" (the publishers).

But I have tried to explain in painstaking detail for years that this is a self-defeating illusion.

The OA "game" is entirely in our own hands, the hands of the research community. Green OA and Green OA mandates leave the publisher out of the loop. It is Gold OA, and Gold OA alone, that envisions the game as depending on the "Gatekeeper" -- and that is because the goal of Gold OA is not OA, but Gold OA, through publishing reform.

That is what draws the Association of Netherlands Universities into such a short-sighted, unscaleable and unsustainable "big deal" with a single publisher, blinded by gold fever to the need to mandate green, cost-free, rather than throwing money at gold.

(And this is what you are calling green/gold "co-operation" against the common enemy, the gatekeeper. But the enemy now is not the gatekeeper, it is gold fever, which is blinding us to the fact that the goal is OA, not Gold OA, and that we can have OA, cost-free, if we (the universities and funders, the providers of all the content) mandate Green OA. -- And, before you say it: the costs of publication are currently being paid, in full, and quite generously, by subscriptions. So until and unless subscriptions are cancelled and the subscription model becomes unsustainable, Green OA and Green OA mandates are indeed cost-free, and should forge full-speed ahead. The time to convert to Gold is only if and when universal Green OA makes the subscription model no longer sustainable as the means of covering the costs, not before -- or instead!)

Is this rigidity, or reasoning?

In your prior posting you wrote:

"Sometimes I am dreaming of an agreement between Green and Gold in the form of a mutually accepted simple overview of pro's and con's of both options. We then could stop the relentless internal debates in the OA movement and use the released energy to approach funders together and tell them that if they take OA seriously, and I am convinced most of them do, they can make a contingency based choice."

But what do you imagine that this pro/con green/gold option "overview" is telling/asking funders to do?

What funders (and, even more important, universities and institutions, the universal providers of *all* OA target content, funded and funded, across all fields) need to do is mandate OA.

That means mandating Green OA, because mandating publisher policy is not within funders' and universities' mandates: All that funders and universities can do is throw more money at publishers. And that's fine with me -- *if* they first mandate green OA.

But your ecumenical pro/con green/gold option overview does not seem to take into account the causal contingencies and priorities that I keep banging on about, the ones you refer to as "rigidity." Yet it is precisely in the causal contingencies and priorities that all the substance lies, not in two flat wish-lists, as if they were parallel. independent and additive.

It makes a huge strategic difference, in the approach to funders and universities, if one makes it clear what one is asking them to do, why, and in what order, and why.

There is nothing wrong with asking them to spend their spare cash for whatever fraction of Gold OA for their research output they feel they can afford -- but only *after* they have mandated green OA for *all* of their research output (actually, ID/OA, which means at least 63% immediate OA plus "Almost-OA" for the rest), not instead of mandating Green OA for all of their research output.

These crucial contingencies and priorities are not getting through to most universities and funders yet (and certainly not in the Netherlands) because they are being presented with confusing and incoherent flat-lists of green and gold pro's (I rather doubt that OA advocates are being very explicit with their respective con's!), as if they were independent and additive, without providing the crucial causal details about the interactive contingencies.

Those causal contingencies are precisely what I am expounding, and they are the reason for the joint punch-line, integrating the contingencies that I've already summarised in a single sentence:

"Institutions and funders should mandate green OA and they should on no account promote or fund gold OA until and unless they have first mandated green OA."

(That's it; all the rest is in the specific, substantive reasons and the evidence on which that stern-sounding injunction is based -- the ones you, Leo, are systematically ignoring, as you argue instead against my "rigidity" and in favor of team spirit, so that green and gold can jointly face off against the "gatekeeper":

What you have forgotten is the *goal*, which is OA, global OA, as soon as possible, for the sake of research, researchers, their institutions and their funders. OA itself is long overdue, whereas you -- and many others -- still believe that the goal is not OA itself, but Gold OA, through publishing reform.)

Stevan Harnad