From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Crispin Flower
Sent: 25 August 2010 16:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Statement on Spatial Depictions of Heritage Assets - message on behalf of English Heritage Heritage Protection Department

A couple of small points here:

1.       The concept of needing to keep all records on one "layer" and therefore forcing them all to share the same geometry type (if indeed this is behind the decision) is arguably short-sighted, and tied to the particular GIS technology stack (ESRI) that EH happens to use. In some existing GIS technology no such constraint exists, and as we move more towards spatially-enabled databases and away from proprietary GIS formats, this will become less relevant. It would be shame if an important dataset is made less useful for this reason alone.

2.       Graham asks a good question about WMS/WFS (and note that the SMs are already available within the SHINE WMS), however we should not consider this the whole solution. Yes, this would be helpful sometimes, to cross-check. However services like this will not (for a long time) be usable in automated constraint-checking systems etc, and it will usually be necessary to hold a local copy, properly indexed into (and managed by) the HER. Furthermore, it is also extremely important to know when designations change, and a WMS/WFS cannot tell you this. In theory EH could run web services that respond to requests for lists of changes, but I've not heard this proposed, and I cannot see this happening any time soon (though it would be the correct technical solution IMHO). In the meantime, the notification procedures will remain crucial, and each will require some updating at the receiving end. This should not necessarily be criticized as double-handling - it is important part of making sure designation changes take effect in policy and practice.
Cheers
Crispin