From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of THOMAS, Roger M
Sent: 18 August 2010 10:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Copyright and copying of reports etc

Nick

In reviewing your policy, would it be helpful to look at things in terms of the FOI (and EIR) regimes? E.g. the ICO web-site has a guidance note specifically on how to deal with requests for 'reports provided by third parties' which are held by public authorities:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/freedom_of_information/practical_application/fep040_reports_provided_by_third_parties.pdf

(I think I'm right in saying that any request for information held by a public body falls to be considered under the FOI and EIR (or DPA) schemes, even it the request doesn't say that it is an FOI [etc] request.)

The starting point for FOI/EIR is of course that all information should be available unless it is covered by specific exemptions. Also, the Act says that if the person asking for the information requests 'a copy of the information in permanent form', the public authority should give effect to that preference 'as far as is reasonably practicable'. I imagine that this would include providing digital copies.

As I understand it (and you might want to check), there is no infringement of copyright when a public authority supplies a copy of a 'third party' report under FOI. Equally, there is no transfer of copyright, so if the recipient of the report (another archaeological consultancy, for instance) wanted to use the report in a way which infringed copyright (e.g. reproducing photographs in a publication), they would have to contact the copyright owner.

I hope this helps a bit?

Best wishes

Roger